Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Guilty Pleasures!

I have come to the conclusion that music forms me. If there can be Ardhnaareeshwar (half man, half woman in divine form), then I'm half music. I am incomplete without it. I cannot get ready and kicking unless there is a song playing from the 'Therapy' list on my iTunes (usually Koothu Tamil) I cannot let go of my pain unless I listen to 'Chhalla' or 'Apologise' or search for some appropriate song. So, I don't care if I need to learn to be independent and if you scorn me because one ear is always connected to a earphone. Music helps me where people can't. It makes sense out of life, whether through the strum of a guitar, a magically apt string of words or the dhinchak of a masala movie song. So, let me present to you my latest addictions, the healthy guilty pleasures.

- Low Millions. I think the only album they released was 'Ex-Girlfriends' and I'm not sure if the only hit they had was 'Eleanor', the ultimately sarcastic yet tragic break up song. But I've fallen in love with singer Adam Cohen's voice, particularly on 'Mockingbird'. I love the words.
"You say you love me but you don't love me, you say you hate me but you don't hate me, you say you'd leave me but you can't leave me, because you love me, what's it gonna be, what is wrong with you, what is wrong with me."
Deliciously addictive.

-'Chhalla' as sung by Rabbi. He's taken the original traditional Gurdas Mann Punjabi folk song and sung it to an acoustic guitar. It feels as if he is singing it at dusk in a dimly lit room over a broken heart.

-'The Good Soldier' by Nine Inch Nails. Okay, I can't help it. I am drawn to anything by Trent Raznor but this song really fit my state of mind for the past week.'
"I am trying to see
I am trying to believe
This is not where I should be
I am trying to believe"

'Wednesday (No Se Apoye)' by Mike Doughty. I love his abstract, meandering lyrics, particularly 'I Hear the Bells'. But 'Wednesday' is beautiful, rainy and lounge-y, to be soaked up during a light, lazy afternoon or an endless drive.





No comments: