Friday, December 19, 2008

Ishtihaar

I've fallen in love, yet again, again with a Rabbi song. This one's off his first album. And it's called 'Ishtihaar'.

There's something about staring into the winter sunlight and listening to the soft voice of this amazingly talented singer. Originally a poem by Shiv Kumar Batalvi, the words (oh my God, the words) become soul stirring under the influence of his voice and the gentle pluck of his guitar. This, is THE song.

Okay, promise me, you will listen to the song and then read the lyrics along with it. Only then will you feel what I feel.

Sitting quietly by the window still and freeing your mind of thought would enhance the experience.

So, check it out.

Ishtihaar
For the Lost Love:

ik kudi / A girl

jihda naam mohabbat / whose name is love

saad muradi / simple, dainty

sohni fabbat /a lovely sight

gumm hai gumm hai / she is lost

gumm hai / lost

gumm hai / lost

gumm hai / she is lost

surat osdi / Her face

parian vargi / A fairy's likeness,

seerat di o / temper

Mariam lagdi / a picture of Mary

hasdi hai tan / when she laughs

phul ne jhardhey / the petals fall

turdi hay tan / when she walks

ghazal hai lagdi / a melody play

slamm salami / her graceful height

saru kadd di / like a wicker tree

umar ajey hai mar ke agdi / her years are still of nascence

par naina di / but the language of eyes

gal samajhdi / she comprehends

gummian janam janam / she is lost from many

han hoye / births

agolagda iyon jyon kal / though it seems as affair of yesterday

di gal hai / yesterday

iyon lagdai jion ajj di gal hai /why, it seems an affair of today

iyon lagdai jion hun / why, it seems this moments affair

di gal hai hune taan mere kol kharhi si / just now she stood by my side

hune tan mere kol nahi hai / and now she has vanished

ai keha chhal kehi bhatkan / what trick what chase is this

soch meri hairaan barri hai / my senses, they're mystified

os kudi nu tol rahi hai / searching for that girl

oss kudi nu meri saunh hai / I call out to that girl in my name

os kudi nu apni saunh hai / I call out to that girl in my name

os kudi nu sab di saunh hai / I call out to that girl in my name

os kudi nu rab di saunh hai / I call out to that girl in my name

jey kittey parhdi sunhdi hove / if she reads or hears this

jeyundi jan o mar rahi hovey / if she be alive or dying

ik vari aa ke mil javey / come and meet me once

vafa meri nu daag na laavey / do not sully my devotion

nahi tan maithon jia na janda / lest I can't live

geet koi likhia na janda / nor write a word

nahi tan maithon jia na janda / lest I can't live

geet koi likhia na janda / nor write a word

nahi tan maithon jia na janda / lest I can't live

http://rabbism.blogspot.com/search/label/Lyrics

1 comment:

Mith said...

Hmmm Rabbi shergill... "Bulla ki Jaana" is the only song I've heard by him...it was haunting! esp the line "Bulla ki jaana maen kaun" (to me, i'm not known) ...

Oh and the bald guy is Colin (i <3 him) and tall guy is Ryan...both of them crack me up!

About Meg cabot - princess diaries has to be my fav! A completely ordinary girl turns out to be a princess of a whole country? I mean, come on! Every girl secretly wishes for that. Sigh. PD3 is the best of the lot just cz of the way Michael-likes-Mia-too fact has been revealed.

one thing I don't like abt Meg's books is that every one of them is basically the same. Ordinary girl meets cute guy. Girl silently crushes on him thinkin he wud never ever in a million years feel the same way abt her. girl in the end, and to her surprise, finds out guy liked her all along (which everyone else saw coming a mile off btw). Its getting old pretty fast.

I just realized i leave really long comments, half the content of which was not required in the first place and the other half was not asked for.

I apologize.

See? I can't stop! I need help! :(